IRI meets RDF meets HTTP redirect

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:44:59 +0100
To: semantic-web@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

I am unclear as to what is the correct reading as an RDF graph of a
particular representation retrived from the Web.

The representation in question is found by GETting

this redirects to

and then to
which when you apply the URI-to-IRI algorithm of RFC 3987 you get

and has content as below.

Thus, the graph has one triple, and my uncertainity is about the subject
of the triple.

In the RDF/XML below the subject is written with the same document
reference #r

I don't think it is either of these

(a) http://jena.sf.net/test/iri/redirected#r
(b) http://jena.sourceforge.net/test/iri/redirected#r

I think it might be one of these

(c) http://jena.sourceforge.net/test/iri/r%C3%A9sum%C3%A9#r
(d) http://jena.sourceforge.net/test/iri/résumé#r

And while I prefer the latter, I am unclear how to interpret the specs.

If my application does a get on
then I would expect to see case (d).
Equally if an application does a get on
then I would expect case (c), but if the application does a get on (a)
or (b), then these cases are ruled out by RFC 3986, and I have to choose
between (c) or (d) or something else.

Relevant texts

RFC 3986
5.1.3. Base URI from the Retrieval URI:
Note that if the retrieval was the
result of a redirected request, the last URI used (i.e., that which
resulted in the actual retrieval of the document) is the base URI.

RDF/XML supports XML Base [XML-BASE]
[ ... ]
In RDF/XML, a fragment identifier is transformed into a RDF URI
reference by appending the fragment identifier to the in-scope base URI.

Note: this section anticipates an RFC on Internationalized Resource

RFC 3987
     Applications using IRIs as identity tokens with no relationship to a
     protocol MUST use the Simple String Comparison (see section 5.3.1).
which generally seems relevant to RDF, despite this particular example
being protocol based.

Content of RDF/XML file

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#r">
     <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">A resource with multiple retrieval URIs
and IRIs.</rdfs:comment>

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England