Subject: [Moderator Action (size limit exceeded)] Re: Disaster
management ontologies?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:07:18 +0000
From: Azamat Abdoullaev <abdoul@cytanet.com.cy>
To: <semantic-web@w3.org>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

 On this life-or-death issue, there is a useful review made by Paola Di
Maio: 'An Open Ontology for Open Source Emergency Response System'.

But more integrative approach to the matter has been proposed by the World
Economic Forum Global Risk Network, where  cataclysmic events as disasters
and catastrophes fall into an interconnected network of global risks, such
as environmental, economic, geopolitical, societal, and technological:
www.weforum.org/pdf/CSI/Global_Risks_2007.pdf.

IMHO, to integrate human knowledge and understanding on existing and
possible risks (hazards, dangers, or perils) of planetary significance, we
rather need to pull all the resources for building a Global Risk Management
System, driven by a single worldwide risk management ontology with reliable
predictive causal mechanisms. I believe this crucial research project needs
a colloborative network of research organizations and businesses organized
as a Quality Consortium within a FP7 Cooperation program in the area of
Information and Communication Technologies.

Azamat Abdoullaev