Disaster management ontologies?

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:01:55 -0400
Cc: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
To: SW-forum <semantic-web@w3.org>

I had an exciting visit from the students in Sri Lanka who had just
received an award for their open source disaster management system,
Sahana.
http://www.sahana.lk/

Discussing their system, which has just received a Free Software
Foundation award, I remembered many conversations about the
desirability for wide interoperability in emergence and disaster
situations.

I suggested the Sahana folks provide RDF feeds of, for example,
missing persons, found persons, shelters, relive groups and resources
on the ground, and other things they track.

I started a wiki page to capture a little of this
http://esw.w3.org/topic/DisasterManagement
which is like all wikis open to additions!

It is missing, I imagine,  many pointers to government efforts.

If you know of activity around disaster management technology which
could possible be involved in or shed light on this, then please mail
ivan@w3.org or add it to the wiki.

A possible next step would be an Incubator Group (XG) for a diaster
management ontology development.

Disaster response is much about preparedness. If much relevant data
is available in RDF, when a disaster strikes, those on the ground and
across the world will be able to use it to know what best to do to
respond.

Tim Berners-Lee