Re: Restrictions on Bags and Seqs content

Pat Hayes wrote:

> We really only need one, and encourage everyone to use it. We could make
> it by replacing the OWL prefix by some other namespace, such as
> http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owllist#  and calling it 'owllist:'
>
>> , while there is already a lot of collection vocabulary in RDF, which
>> they can only use either in a very limited way, like for rdf:Bag and
>> friends, or not at all, like for rdf:List. Perhaps, it would have been
>> wiser to not use 'rdf:List' in the OWL-to-RDF mappings (like e.g. for
>> the argument list of owl:intersectionOf expressions), but instead use
>> a custom OWLList for this purpose.
>
> That is what probably should have been done, give that the DL purists
> insisted on putting that vocabulary out of bounds. But oh well, its too
> late now.

What about this design for the RDF/XML

<rdf:Description rdf:ID="X">
   <rdf:value
   rdf:parseType = "eg:Collection"  xmlns:eg="http://example.com/"/>
     <rdf:Description rdf:ID="A"/>
     <rdf:Description rdf:ID="B"/>
   </rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

<#X> rdf:value _:h .
_h eg:first <#A> .
_h eg:rest _:t .
_:t eg:first <#B> .
_:t eg:rest eg:nil .

i.e. allow eg:Collection as a macro for the collection syntax,
parameterised over the namespace.

Defect is the use of the QName in the attribute value - permitted but
discouraged, and it would be the first case in RDF/XML.
Another possibility would be to permit any URI ending in the substring
"Collection" to behave like that. Or even more oddly, any URI ending in
Non-NC-Name-Char + "Collection" to behave like that, i.e.

OK
   rdf:parseType= "http://example.com/Collection"
Not OK
   rdf:parseType= "http://example.com/MyCollection"