Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

Garret Wilson wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I'm attaching version 2007-04-06 of the process document I've created
> for Directory/vCard/iCalendar. It's starting to be pretty
> comprehensive---it covers all the top-level classes of these three
> specifications, and addresses all the top-level properties of vCard.
Will give it a careful reading!
> I should note here that I'm not trying to take over anyone's current
> role or get in the way of Harry, Brian, or Norman editing the ontology
> spec. I'm just trying to do some work to move the project forward,
> because this is a specification that I personally really need done as
> soon as possible, and I hope that my work can be useful in putting
> together a W3C specification that we call can use.
No problem.
> In fact, I plan on making available an alpha version of a project in
> just a few days that will start producing RDF vCard data, so there's a
> few things that I'd like to nail down so that I won't start having the
> whole legacy transitional data problem to deal with. If a few people
> could give me their opinions on the following questions, I'd be grateful:
We'll wrap as much as possible into the VCard spec, but some of this is
outside of VCard, in particular the RDFCalendar and Directory parts. If
at all possible, it would be better to split this into 3 documents with
links to each other instead of one - and then put all 3 out as W3C
notes. For RDF Calendar work, I'd get in touch with Dan Connolly.
>   1. Do you plan on keeping "2006" in the namespace, or changing it to
>      "2007"? I'd say "2007", but it doesn't really matter---I just need
>      to know.
Usually the namespace is kept to the year where work started, i.e. 2006,
although now shortnamespaces are allowed.
>   2. What is the reaction to having a separate Directory namespace that
>      would incorporate elements shared between vCard and iCalendar? In
>      other words, I'd much rather have a single directory:Geo class
>      than duplicate vcard:Geo and icalendar:Geo classes.
That's what I would recommend, and then I'd be Directory in a separate
namespace. However, I do think there's some fairly mature "geo"
namespaces so we might just want to point it to them.
>   3. What do people think of using namespaces that indicate the
>      vCard/iCalendar relationship with text/directory? That is,
>      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/ns# for Directory,
>      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/vcard/ns# for vCard, and
>      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/icalendar/ns# for iCalendar?
I would keep them distinct, as they can serve different purposes.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426