Re: [newsml-g2] RE: Finding News Taxonomies [was: RE: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs]

John Cowan wrote:
> Misha Wolf scripsit:
>
>> The IPTC Standards (NewsML-G2, SportsML-G2, EventsML-G2, etc) are not
>> (X)HTML-based.  The Web page is, of course, (X)HTML.
>>

> Why?  It could just as well (perhaps better) be some XML + CSS.

Well, they *could* be.  The sad reality on the Internet though is that
present day web pages pretty much need to be (X)HTML if you want them to
render and/or behave even semi-reliably. And news organizations are
likely to care quite a lot about look and feel, not just content.  Also,
with my XHTML hat on, I prefer that major media outlets use XHTML for
their web content ;-)