Re: An ontology for graphical user interfaces

Hello, Lennart -

This is an interesting project that you are undertaking.  Here in The
Open Group, we are developing an ontology for SOA, and one of the
reasons is that we believe that it can be useful as a basis for a
model-driven implementation approach.  This very much parallels what
you intend to do in defining an ontology as a basis for a
model-driven approach to GUI development.

You can find information on what we are doing at
http://www.opengroup.org/projects/soa-ontology/ and I will be very
interested to compare notes with you as your project
developments.  Please keep in touch!

At 12:57 01/04/2007, Lennert Acke wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>My thesis subject is about using reasoning and semantic web
>technologies to enable the  "on-the-fly" of generation graphical
>user interfaces. It is not about letting reasoners "invent" new
>graphical user interfaces.
>
>In a typical scenario a GUI would be generated based on the data
>that needs to presented, predefined UI-patterns,
>application-specific GUI guidelines, context information, etc. Based
>on all these inputs, a reasoner could then offer a representation of
>the form to be represented to the user. Using a mapping of this
>representation to an implementation, one could then visualise the
>form. I am currently working on an xHTML / AJAX based demo.
>
>For this, I am looking for previous ontology work to model the field
>of graphical user interfaces. Google has not been very helpful yet.
>
>Any input from this list would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Lennert Acke.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

Dr. Christopher J. Harding
Forum Director for SOA and Semantic Interoperability
THE OPEN GROUP
Thames Tower, 37-45 Station Road, Reading RG1 1LX, UK
Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org Phone (mobile): +44 774 063 1520
http://www.opengroup.org

Enterprise Architecture Practitioners Conference
Hilton Paris, France, April 23 - 25, 2007
Member Meetings: April 23 - April 27, 2007
http://www.opengroup.org/paris2007/
TOGAF is a trademark of The Open Group