Re: A URI for your Favourite Pub: httpRange-14 Question

Hi Tom,

What Chris said. And:

On 21 Sep 2006, at 19:05, T.Heath wrote:
> DualUseUris [5]
> sound great if we were talking about my own site

Yes, we use them in D2R Server [1], redirecting to an HTML page or to
a SPARQL DESCRIBE result depending on the content type. Works
beautifully.

> Am I best off just minting my own, and ignoring the consequences?

Yes, just mint your own URI. What are the consequences, anyway? The
worst thing that could happen is that nobody understands your statement.

> What about minting my
> own like [7] and configuring the server at mydomain.com to reply to
> dereference attempts with HTTP 303 and the URL of the pub?

Not sure what the "URI inside a URI" encoding buys you, but you get
to decide what URIs in your domain mean, so it's a perfectly
acceptable solution. The 303 to the pub's homepage is a good idea.
For bonus points, redirect to an RDF document containing everything
you know or have said about the pub if the request asks for RDF.

> 1. Does an RDF Document count as an information resource? I.e. if you
> dereference a URI and get HTTP2xx and some RDF back, then does that
> imply that statements about that URI are statements about the RDF
> Document, rather than the thing described in the RDF?

Yes, and yes. If seen from the Web Architecture level, HTML and RDF
documents are exactly the same thing, just for a different sort of
client.

Yours,
Richard

[1] http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/d2r-server/