ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

From: Robert Dodier <robert.dodier@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:18:40 -0600
To: semantic-web@w3.org

Hello,

I am interested in the problem of communicating physical quantities,
e.g. between a web service and its client.
I am sure there has been a lot of work on that,
so there seems no need for me to reinvent this wheel.
Googling brings up a lot of hits on different ideas,
but I can't tell what has really been put into practice.
What is common practice for this problem at present?
Any light you can shed on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Dodier