Re: RDF vs RDBMS

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:46:19 +0200
To: Fabien Barbas <fabien.barbas@polymtl.ca>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Fabien Barbas wrote:
> Many key aspects have been mentionned so far.
>
> I'd like to know what you guys think about modification possibilities of
> ontologies (RDF model). RDF and SPARQL are great to query an existing
> model, but what about creating, modifying or deleting some parts of it?
> SPARQL has no INSERT or DELETE commands.

True for the version coming up. There are (very informal) discussions
already to see if and when a next version of SPARQL would be defined,
and would it include. Nothing is decided yet (obviously, the goal is to
finish the current SPARQL version first), but the insert/delete feature
is high on almost everybody's list...

> Should it be understood that RDF is intended primarely as a query
> technology?

See above.

FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf#Me