Re: Generating rdfs:seeAlso links for Tabulator with SPARQL CONSTRUCT

From: Marc <marc@geonames.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:26:46 +0200
To: Chris Bizer <bizer@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org, bastian@quilitz.de, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Tobias Gauß <tobias.gauss@web.de>

> In order that Berlin as a city doesn't get mixed up with Berlin as a
> state in Germany, it would be cool if your data about Berlin would
> contain a rdf:type <http://www.geonames.org/ontology#City> triple,
> which I could use in my query to specify exactly what I mean with
> "Berlin".

We have 751 places for the search term 'Berlin', 483 with 'Berlin' part
of the name and 126 with the name equal 'Berlin'.
I think it is better to use the URI to identify a feature. Even if you
find a query to return only a single place, you have no guarantee that
it will return a single row in the future. I hope we don't have to
change the URIs again and it should therefore be safer to use a fix URI
rather than a query.

> This would be cool, but what I would even like more is a service that
> I can use to translate the natural language names of places into URIs.
> This could be realized by a SPARQL endpoint as described above or by
> some other Web Service which takes a name and some type information as
> input and returns the proper URI.

The geonames search service already returns rdf documents. (just add the
parameter "type=rdf")
http://ws.geonames.org/search?name_equals=berlin&type=rdf&style=medium

The search service documentation is here :
http://www.geonames.org/export/geonames-search.html

Cheers

Marc