Number of formulae

From: Matt Williams <matthew.williams@cancer.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:43:56 +0100
To: Pellet <pellet-users@lists.mindswap.org>, jena-dev@yahoogroups.com, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Dear All,

A little off-topic, but I thought that some people on the list might
have thought about this.

Given some ontology, I am trying to work out how many (different)
formulae we could make from it. I want to do this in order to use
information about an ontology to be able to calculate bounds on the
number of rules I can have (and hence the number of arguments).

I'm assuming a formula is just a conjunction of predicates, and with a
few other assumptions, I think I have a reasonable answer.

One problem is that I started by ignoring properties (so just using
classes) and I now want to re-introduce properties. I think one way is
deal with functional datatype properties as "de facto" class
definitions, and do the same for properties that have an individual as a
role-filler. Then I can just add these "de facto" classes to the number
of (real) classes, which makes things easier, and I have relatively
fewer uses of properties to deal with.

I also have a whole bunch of other questions, but this is one that seems
relatively simple, but I have some doubts.

My questions are:
1: Has anyone seen/ done anything like this?
2: Is anyone else interested in anything like this?

Thanks,

Matt

--
http://acl.icnet.uk/~mw