Re: ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <swlists-040405@champin.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:27:12 +0200
To: Joshua Tauberer <jt@occams.info>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Joshua Tauberer a écrit :
> The big drawback is that dealing with these literals requires a special
> parser, but it saves creating a new bnode for each measure (i.e.
> mysphere mass [ grams 1000 ] ) and I think is a little easier to
> understand compared to having a bnode that represents the notion of the
> mass itself independent of its measure.

There is indeed a tradeoff to find between encoding things in "complex"
literals and making them explicit in resources.

Note that checking the consistency of measurements as blank nodes
requires ad-hoc implementation as well : it is not possible to state
that any resource with :grams "1000" must have :kg "1"... An the problem
of rouding remains...

  pa