Re: Identification systems for movie (cinema), book, music and score, etc.

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:09:07 +0100
To: Tony Hammond <t.hammond@nature.com>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Tony Hammond wrote:
> Hi Karl:
>
> Just to clarify about DOI, this passage (below) from the IDF home page
> (http://www.doi.org/). DOI's are used to identify and manage (on a digital
> network) entities of significance within IPR transactions. There is no
> restriction that the resource be digital (whether online or not), although
> even the online resources can go back aways. Oldest DOI registered with
> CrossRef is from 1769:
>
>     http://www.crossref.org/crweblog/2006/09/oldest_doi_in_crossref.html
>
> Scope of DOI is also unbounded and increasingly they are being applied to
> datasets as well as publications.

http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/registration_agencies.html#8.8 reminds
me that it costs money to be able to assign DOIs.

If I'm an end-user of DOIs, will my DOI metadata be available to the
world thru DOI/IDF in perpetuity, regardless of the success/failure of
any intermediary businesses who sold me my DOIs?

Dan