Re: FOAF: names with different scriptings

Le 1 oct. 06 à 22:58, Dan Brickley a écrit :
> Karl Dubost wrote:
>>     KUROSAWA Akira
>>     黒澤明
>> How do we write that in FOAF/n3 or FOAF/RDF?
>
> I'd long wondered this. I wanted it also for writing RDF describing
> language-learning "flashcards" for Japanese and Arabic. Fortunately
> the
> W3C I18N folk have recently published
> http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/Overview.en.php
> which explains how to do just this, ie using constructs such as

<foaf:Person>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="ja-Jpan">黒澤明</foaf:name>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="ja-Latn">KUROSAWA Akira</foaf:name>
</foaf:Person>

but it seems next week it will be
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-October/
005104.html

<foaf:Person>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="ja">黒澤明</foaf:name>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="ja-Latn">KUROSAWA Akira</foaf:name>
</foaf:Person>

Though there is still a problem, the real writing of the name is
 黒澤明

Another example, my name in France and in Japan (カタカナ語):

<foaf:Person>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="fr-Latn">Karl Dubost</foaf:name>
   <foaf:name xml:lang="fr-Japn">カール デュボスト</foaf:name>
</foaf:Person>

But here in my FOAF writing, I have no way (that I know) to say this
one is the good one.
Modelization problems? foaf:name-variant ?

> For me, the biggest unknown with RDF/FOAF naming, is how we deal with
> names that require markup (eg. Ruby annotion). And how badly needed
> such
> markup is.

Isn't it an issue with RDF having difficulties with content in general?

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***