Re: ANN: RDF Book Mashup - Integrating Web 2.0 data sources like Amazon and Google into the Semantic Web

From: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:07:46 +0100
To: "'Damian Steer'" <damian.steer@hp.com>
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>

Hi Damian,

> > Hi all,
> >
> > we have just released an RDF Book Mashup that demonstrates how Web 2.0
> data
> > sources like Amazon, Google or Yahoo can be integrated into the Semantic
> > Web.
> This is great. If you want more information (and pain!) try adding
> z39.50 sources. EANs would be useful, too.

Yes, one could apply the same design pattern to lots of sources and
different types of resources like EAN identified products.

Maybe we will do some more types of resources, but it would also be nice if
different people do other mashups. Then we would also get to the interesting
point were we would have several data sources serving information about the
same resource (for instance a person) under different URIs and could start
employing instance matching algorithms that would figure out which resources
are the same and automatically set owl:same as links between the different
> I'm a bit concerned about amazon's licencing conditions. I suppose this
> is ok since you're just representing their data, but downstream users
> ought to be aware that B.6 [1] might bite them.

Yes, licensing is problematic ;-(

We serve links to the Google and Amazon license pages as meta data wthin
each generated document, for instance:

   <rdfs:label>RDF document about the book: Weaving the Web: The Original
Design and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web</rdfs:label>
   <dc:license rdf:resource="http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html"/>

Hope that this is OK for a scientific demo.