vcard/foaf

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:27:18 -0500
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, Dan Brickley <danbrickley@gmail.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
To: semantic-web@w3.org

Now that the new vcard ontology has a nice W3C namespace, I'm
experimenting with representing scholarly data more with it. Ideally I
want to use both FOAF and vCard.

Example:

   <Chapter rdf:about="urn:isbn:34232345#23">
     <author rdf:parseType="Resource">
       <agent rdf:resource="http://ex.net/contributors/1"/>
       <position>1</position>
     </author>
     <dc:title>Chapter Title</dc:title>
     <pages>23-54</pages>
     <dcterms:isPartOf rdf:resource="urn:isbn:34232345"/>
   </Chapter>

   <foaf:Person rdf:about="http://ex.net/contributors/1">
     <v:fn>John Doe</v:fn>
     <v:sort-string>Doe, John</v:sort-string>
     <v:role>Assistant Professor</v:role>
     <v:org rdf:parseType="Resource">
       <v:organization-unit>Sociology Department</v:organization-unit>
       <v:organization-name>Example University</v:organization-name>
     </v:org>
   </foaf:Person>

I'm starting to wonder if this is wrong, and that it'd be better to do

   <foaf:Person rdf:about="http://ex.net/contributors/1">
     <foaf:vcard rdf:resource="#x"/>
   </foaf:Person>

... or some such?

Logic: the notion of the card presumes a particular role within an
organization (hence role's domain is v:VCard), and is not about the
agent per se (despite the name and such properties, which ARE about the
agent!). I cannot model, for example, changing affiliations using this
ontology. But having a property to associate vcards and foaf agents
allows for this.

Ugh, this is a little hairy.

Bruce