[Fwd: Re: RDF Validator moved to new server - graph issues gone]

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:45:35 -0300
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Cc: ot@w3.org

I know a lot of people here care about the RDF Validator, so ... passing
on some good news: some progress with non-latin scripts in the output
graphs. Sounds like this is as good as it'll get without improvements in
the underlying (ie. non-W3C) GraphViz system and its supporting libraries.

Thanks, Olivier & co :)

cheers,

Dan

attached mail follows:

Hello Martin, All.

On Sep 20, 2006, at 21:54 , Martin Duerst wrote:
> Great to see the basic graph problem fixed. But non-Latin-1
> characters (e.g. Japanese) still seem to work in SVG,
> but not in PNG or GIF.

I am happy to report progress on this.
We have managed to make the graphing tool use a font covering a very
hight number of scripts.

RDF such as:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
   xmlns="http://example.org/foo">
   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/">
     <contains>ascii 漢字 цириллик Ërôpéàñ
ελαδδα ฉันก</contains>
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

Will now get nicely displayed.

We can not guarantee that all possible glyphs will be displayed
properly. Unfortunately, the raster output for graphviz uses a
library which uses only one font (instead, as some more advanced
systems do, of trying other fonts which may contain the glyph if the
current font does not), and as far as our research has shown, there
is no such thing as a (free, truetype) font covering the whole of
unicode.

More info on the issue:
http://www.graphviz.org/doc/FAQ.html#Q10a

Thank you,