Re: a guy with 5 first names, from I18N comments on P3P, for vCard/RDF

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:02:06 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Hans Teijgeler <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl>, 'Dan Connolly' <connolly@w3.org>, semantic-web@w3.org, 'Steven Pemberton' <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>

> Internationalization is fun, but we should be careful. If we want to
> solve all possible problems in vCard, we may spend a LOOONG time on
> that. We may have to finalzie what we have today and forget about these
> issues for now...

There are several different questions here:

  - what was the hidden ontology of the vCard designers?

  - what are the dominant (hidden) ontologies of the vCard users?

  - what is a good ontology for this application space?

The last one is a whole lot of fun.  I think it's best approached by
first figuring out all the different contexts in which different names
might be used for someone.    But for vCard/hCard, maybe the context is
pretty clear -- you just want the name as it appears on a business card.
(Maybe there are several of those -- business card in native language(s)
and business card in English, but those can probably be handled by
language tagging on the literal.)

     -- Sandro