Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation

As I said, you can argue this either way.  Ironically, the good point you
make about URIs being for the client rather than for the content provider,
bolsters the idea of decoupling the resource from the representation.
Discoverability is an important factor to consider when constructing URIs
and developing the content negotiation strategy.  Typically, the more
arbitrary names you've got for your resources, the less discoverable the
information in your system.

I think it's kind of nice to have a URI structure like
"/users/pius/profile."  If my user agent wants Yoruba and RDF+XML, it'll try
to render it.  If there's no Yoruba version, it'll fallback to English,
RDF+XML, and so on, depending on the content negotiation strategy.  Agents
can discover the available in numerous ways, including <LINK> elements
referring to the alternate representations.  Note that this resource is the
permanent home from which a user can find all alternate representations of
the resource.  If you instead rely upon different URIs for different
translations, you run the risk of making it hard for users to discover new
translations that have been added to the resource.

In addition to this, you've got the issue of accessibility.  You want
alternate representations to be considered semantically equivalent.  I feel
like using URIs closely coupled to the represenentation based on an
arbitrary naming scheme has a bad smell for many situations.  Again, I
reiterate that this decision probably depends on the semantics of the
problem domain.

-Pius