Re: [ontac-forum] Semantics and Ontology and Semiotics

From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:35:59 -0500
To: Azamat <abdoul@cytanet.com.cy>
Cc: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@colab.cim3.net>, semantic-web@w3.org

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 11:50:25AM +0300, Azamat wrote:
> >>There is a rather clear conditional statement, with the plain
> >>vanilla meaning:
> >>
> >><AA> the whole enterprise of semantic technology is an otiose
> >>undertaking and expansive academic mystification without
> >>understanding of the nature of meaning, its critical dimensions,
> >>mechanisms and algorithms of representation in computable forms.

Azamat,

You are correct.  I was careless, and I did misread the sentence in
question even after your first attempt to point out the error.

My error is particularly regrettable as it distracted attention away
from the substantial objection I have to your remarks, viz., that you
regularly set up a false dichtomy between formal logic/semantics and
real world ontology.  I apologize to you for the misrepresentation in
question and would ask you only to focus on the remainder of the
message, which I still stand by.

Chris Menzel