Re: Visual represantion of OWL ontology

Hi Aija,

Sandpiper Software provides an ontology modeling tool that is an add-in
to IBM Rational Rose.
The visualization capabilities are based on a UML profile that is
similar to, though not yet
completely compliant with, the Ontology Definition Metamodel (ODM)
profile for RDF
and OWL.  We are working towards complete compliance, and are migrating
from Rose to
Eclipse/EMF/GMF/Java. The new version of the tool will be available in
several UML tools,
including IBM RSA/RSM and No Magic's Magic Draw.  All of the diagrams
are exportable
in several formats, including .jpeg, .png, and so forth.  Exported OWL
is compliant with
Protege, Swoop, Pellet, RacerPro, etc.

We provide some custom utilities for creating your own diagrams, either
at the ontology
level or from a particular class perspective, and allow you to choose
which relationships
you want to see on a diagram, both within and across ontology
components.  The
selection dialog is a little hokey at this point, but the results are
fairly effective -- through
check boxes you pick what you want to see and we generate the diagrams.
You can create
as many of these as you want, with no impact on the underlying model.
Rose is not a
great drawing tool, so we're looking forward to providing more
flexibility and better
visualization once we've completed the migration to GMF, hopefully
towards the end of
the summer.

The add-in is only available in the US at this point, but we are
considering releasing
some of it as an open source project once we've completed the Java
migration.  Feel
free to contact me directly if you are interested.

Thanks,

Elisa