From: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
To: "Phil Archer" <parcher@icra.org>
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>; "WCL-XG Public List" <public-xg-wcl@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Grouing URIs - an RDF triple with multiple subjects

> The Web Content Label Incubator Activity [1] is to hold a face to face
> meeting in Edinburgh on Saturday 20 May. The major topic of conversation
> will be how one might define a group of URIs so that they, plural, can be
> the subject of an RDF triple.
>
> Outside the XG there is interest in this from, among others, the ERT WG
> [2]
> (the folk behind EARL).
>
> Some of you will have heard me talk about how we do this in RDF-CL [3] but
> we're trying to do a better job of it in the XG.
>
> If the problem is one you'd like to crack as well, and you are in
> Edinburgh
> that Saturday afternoon, you'd be welcome to jon us and try to solve it.
> Please contact me directly. NB.we are all paying our own way - £35.25 a
> head
> for the room [4] and sandwiches for a working lunch.

I'm sorry I can't make it to the meeting, but I'm going to go ahead and
offer a solution, since it seems so clear to me.  :-)

   1.  You need a "uri" property, linking things to strings
       which are unambiguous names (URIs) for them.

   2.  You need a simple rule language.

   3.  The rule language has to have simple/common string functions.

Then you can say "everything which starts with http://www.w3.org/ is
child-safe" like:

    if
       x.uri.startsWith("http://www.w3.org/")
    then
       icra:ChildSafe(x)

I expect the RIF Working Group (for which I am the W3C staff contact) to
provide something that will work for points #2 and #3.  I'm not sure the
URI property is going to come from.

       -- sandro