RE: owl:Class and owl:Thing

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response!

Just to make certain that I understood you well, please confirm that this
code is correct:

In a triple store for a data model with base URI
xml:base="http://www.15926.org/dm/2006-02" we find:

    <owl:Class rdf:ID="ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject">
        <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#ClassOfArrangedIndividual"/>
    </owl:Class>

In a triple store for a vocabulary for core classes with base URI
xml:base="http://www.15926.org/rd/2006-02" we find:

<!--the core class 'Pump'-->
    <owl:Class rdf:ID="Pump">
        <rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://www.15926.org/dm/2006-02#ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject
"/>
    </owl:Class>

<!--the core class 'CentrifugalPump'-->
    <owl:Class rdf:ID="CentrifugalPump">
        <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Pump"/>
    </owl:Class>

In a triple store of a pump supplier with base URI
xml:base="http://www.abc-corp.com/sys4502" we find:

<!--a pump class in his catalog-->
    <owl:Class rdf:ID="Model-AK150-CentrifugalPump">
        <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="http://www.15926.org/rd/2006-02#CentrifugalPump"/>
    </owl:Class>

<!--a particular pump manufactured by him-->
    <owl:Thing rdf:ID="PHO-347621">
        <rdfs:label>pump with serial number AK-83492</rdfs:label>
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="#Model-AK150-CentrifugalPump"/>
    </owl:Thing>

The class Pump is such a case where it is both an owl:Class and an
individual, as a member of the class ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject. Yet it
has not been declared as owl:Thing. I understand from you that that is OK.

Is it possible that owl:Individual, that once existed [1], was meant to be
the class of REAL individuals in a REAL world?

Regards,
Hans

[1] http://wonderweb.semanticweb.org/deliverables/documents/D1.pdf