From: "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
To: "Azamat" <abdoul@cytanet.com.cy>
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:40 AM
Subject: Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDF reification)

> First, the Semantic Web approach to building from the "bottom-up" using
> minimalist models such as DL makes a whole lot more sense than trying to
> build "top-down" from standard upper ontologies.

With all respects to DL folks and their logical deeds, this sort of concept
languages is long riding one old sort of conceptual relationships,
subsumption, and also it is is a reanimated ghost of AI Winter, as you
mentioned. I only may suggest there is nothing here that you can't find in
Sowa's conceptual graphs. Again, all this old stuff, intensional general
knowledge (TBox) about a domain, extensional (specific) knowledge (ABox) the
individuals of the domain. (I sympathise more with your modal logic rather).
It is plain that for real-life reasoning applications you need a Real Logic
involving n-relational ontology of things. For, in the real world dynamic
environment, you have to rely on  the ontological logic of events and
processes, such as economic logic, political logic, diplomatic logic, the
logic of war, etc., all imlpying the cause and effect relationships at the
first place.

Primarily because
> people do not ever agree on standard upper ontologies, much less
> theories of pragmatics or semiotics - ever try to distinguish an
> "Object" from a "Process"?

For understanding of Object/Process distinction, maybe helpful to download
USECS, where you can find all possible divisions substances and processes of
change, with definitions, basic axioms, rules, similarities and differences.

How about what I meant by the utterance "Pan
> Am Flight #73"?

When you have a general ontology as the context of contexts, the universe of
discourse of anything, finding meanings of words in phrases, compounds or
sentences become clearer. The basic meaning (intension) of the nominal
compound consists in the verbal noun of 'Flight', a special division of a
hierarchical sequence of more general terms, 'Air travel', 'Travel',
'Motion' or 'Change in location'. Having an adequate  model of events basing
on the definition: an event is a process of change bounded by the where and
when (location and time), your reasoner will conclude that any 'Flight'
involves 'Airline Common Carrier' with a certain spatial and temporal
restrictions, and that all the variables are instanced by individual values
expressed by proper names of carrier and the specific number of flights. Of
couse, the issue considered in outlines only, and there is more behind this
interesting questions.

> I think a distrust of standard upper ontologies is probably healthy,
> although for certain applications they have their uses - since a lot of
> work has gone into SUMO, DOLCE, etc.,

I promote the idea of SUO as a unified framework ontology, not these formal
logic based ontologies.

although it seems no-one will
> ever agree on the one true ontology.Ditto for theories of semiotics and
> pragmatics per se [1]. Now, maybe we can think of a theory of pragmatics
> or semiotics for the "Web" or for "Certain well-defined standards" - but
> even now that seems difficult, and there aren't too many good proposals
> out there, although I'd be happy to read some - please send me links
> off-list.

You've got it.