From: semantic-web-request@w3.org [mailto:semantic-web-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Elias Torres
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 13:03
To: l14103@alunos.uevora.pt
Cc: Semantic Web; Cláudio Fernandes; public-sparql-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: SPARQL and the owl web language

Cláudio,

I'm a member of the DAWG currently working on the SPARQL specification and I
just wanted to point you to a couple of our documents to help you answer (or
maybe not) your question:

>From our charter document [1]:

[[[
The protocol will allow access to a notional RDF graph. This may in practice
be the virtual graph which would follow from some form of inference from a
stored graph. This does not affect the data access protocol, but may affect
the description of the data access service. For example, if OWL DL semantics
are supported by a service, that may be evident in the description of the
service or the virtual graph which is queried, but it will not affect the
protocol designed under this charter.

]]]

Note that we did not engage in building a service description specification,
but nonetheless, it's no part of our spec.

There has been a LOT of discussion on the issue by the working group
members, organizations and individual parties. We've labeled the issue
owlDisjunction and as of 01/26/2006 we have decided [2] to postpone the
issue given an agreement on the current wording of the spec.

Regards,

Elias Torres

the awareness of the list for SPARQL related questions.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#rdfs-owl-queries
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#owlDisjunction