Re: URIs and SPARQL endpoints

From: Max Völkel <voelkel@fzi.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:36:21 +0200
To: SW-forum <semantic-web@w3.org>

> When trying to use SPARQL one stumbles upon the concept of "endpoint". When
> I checked in the (Candidate) Recommendation the word endpoint is not used at
> all. Yet, when you use Google you get many deliberations about endpoints,
> but nowhere a definition or standardization. How come? Where can I find
> reading material about (SPARQL) endpoints that doesn't assume that I already
> know what it is?
>
> I also have a direct question: what is the difference between a URI and an
> endpoint? Somewhere I read a discussion about this, but the participants in
> that discussion didn't seem to agree with each other, so it seems that I am
> not completely alone in my ignorance.
>
> Can someone help me?
I invite the discussion to happen at
http://wiki.ontoworld.org/index.php/SPARQL_endpoint
or at least to gather the consensus there for the next googlers.

Kind regards,

  Max Völkel
--
Dipl.-Inform. Max Völkel, Universität Karlsruhe / FZI
            nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

*Second* Workshop on Semantic Wikis: http://semwiki.org/wibke2006