Re: xlst and rdf/owl

Tim's right. SWI's semweb module will let you do something like
load_rdf('myfoaf.rdf') which parses the RDF in as triples accesible via
the rdf/3 and rdf/4 predicates. You can load ontologies in the same way
because they're just rdf files.

As for reasoners, you can look in the semweb module to see what kind of
reasoning is implemented but its pretty easy to roll your own in prolog
of course.

Instead for my foaf work, which has fairly modest requirements for
inference, I wrote a generator that pre-calculates all the logically
entailed triples, asserting the inherited/inferred properties and
subproperties as explicit predicates. This effectively maps from rdf
triples to prolog terms for each rdf class. The upside of my approach is
a human-readable prolog representation of your data. The downside is
that your code gets locked into static representations of
objects/classes which is a bit un-semantic web. In hindsight I'd
probably stick with the raw rdf/3 predicate if starting the project again.

But in summary SWI has fantastic support for RDF and XML/SGML in general
although it is an in-memory model so is restricted to around 40M triples
or something of that order. You can also connect, in theory at least
(I've not tried it myself yet), to Jena or Redland too for more capacity.

Cheers

Simon

--

Simon Price