Re: Semantic content negotiation (was Re: expectations of vocabulary)

From: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:30:56 -0700
Cc: "'Semantic Web'" <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: "Xiaoshu Wang" <wangxiao@musc.edu>

My point was nothing more than:

(a) most URIs are not dereferenceable, because common rules for
dereferencing them do not exist, or they are designed not to be;
(b) most HTTP URIs do not dereference to a useful RDF representation;
(c) using fragment identifiers gives you a slightly better chance of
dereferencing to a useful representation, because of HTTP's mechanics.

Reliance on the dereferenceability of a term, even an HTTP URI, is
foolhardy.

-R