Re: Gathering deployment experience for SWIG basic geo namespace (use of Swoogle etc...)

From: Tim Finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:45:38 -0400
To: public-xg-geo@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org
CC: danbri@danbri.org

Earlier this month Dan Brickley asked [1] if we could use
Swoogle to collect some data on "how the SWIG basic geo
namespace has actually been used in publicly available
data."  We did take a look and posted the results on the
UMBC ebiquity blog [2].  (The details are in linked documents,
but the blog entry is a good jumping off point and a place
to leave comments).

Dan was also interested in usage patterns for values for
geo:long and geo:lat -- strings, datatypes, etc.  We've
not yet done this since it's not a capability that is
currently supported in Swoogle.  In an earlier version, we
had some support for this and are currently thinking
about how to best support such features.

We will be doing some special crunching for the next five days
on one of the machines Swoogle relies on, so if response time is bad,
try again in an hour or so.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-geo/2006Jul/0001.html
[2] http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/blogger/2006/07/27/how-the-w3c-geo-vocabulary-is-used/

--
  Tim Finin, Computer Science & Electrical Engineering, Univ of Maryland
  Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Cir, Baltimore MD 21250. finin@umbc.edu