Re: [semanticweb] Ontology of interests

From: Hamish Harvey <hamish@hamishharvey.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:35:42 +0100
To: "Knud Hinnerk Möller" <knud.moeller@deri.org>
Cc: "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, "Damian Steer" <damian.steer@hp.com>, semantic-web@w3c.org

On 25/07/06, Knud Hinnerk Möller <knud.moeller@deri.org> wrote:

> * in the foaf:interest example the wikipedia URL obviously identifies the
> page, as Damian pointed out, but then you'd still need to say what the
> foaf:topic of the page is, because if we have
>    * Danny foaf:interest
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>
> .    and
>    * Knud foaf:interest <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> .

Presumably you can strongly encourage people (e.g. in the FOAF docs; I
haven't looked) to prefer pages from e.g. Wikipedia over some
arbitrary even if apparently canonical page. If the page isn't there,
add it.

> * then how could anyone (without a human brain) know that we are both
> interested in RDF? This could only be inferred if we also say:
>    *
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>
> foaf:topic <nice.uri.for.RDF> .    and
>    * <http://www.w3.org/RDF/> foaf:topic <nice.uri.for.RDF> .

Besides, what's wrong with saying, without using another URI:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework> foaf:topic _:rdf .
<http://www.w3.org/RDF/> foaf:topic _:rdf .

Another concern is the drift in meaning of assertions you'll get using
something like Wikipedia to provide a "controlled" vocabulary. When I

_:me foaf:interest <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...> .

I really mean I have an interest which is described by that page at
the time the assertion was made.

Probably not such an issue in geek space with well defined technologies.

Hamish Harvey
Research Associate, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences,
Newcastle University