Re: Multiple (conflicting) rdfs:range properties

On Jul 20, 2006, at 14:14, ext Paul Gearon wrote:

> Now if only we had some formal way of connecting a URI to a literal.

Prior to the introduction of datatyped literals, I defined and used
the val: URI scheme for this purpose, and in fact, this was input
into the
discussion/design of typed literals -- the URI scheme being rejected
both because (a) it's yet another URI scheme and (b) URIs have
(practical) limits on the length of lexical forms which typed literals
would not have (as severely).

See attachment for details.

It would be possible to map between such URIs and typed literals
in an application. The val: URI would simply be a synonym for the
typed literal, and one could infer that for any val URI "val:(D)L"
with lexical form L and datatype D:

    val:(D)L owl:sameAs "L"^^D .

Of course, ideally, typed literals would simply be allowed as
subjects ;-)

Cheers,

Patrick