Re: design consideratins for a simple (semantic) contact management app

If P2P rather than client server would make it, then most of the
requirements you can solve with DBin [1] today and no programming. Plus
you get other things for free like digital signatures, handling of data
attachments, multiplatform, Ecllipse based plugin model etc

Just add your favorite ontologies and mash together a UI with a bit of
XML to create your domain  "Brainlet" [2].
To create such thing big suggestion is download the lastest DBin and
modify one of the brainlets we ship.
Still not the earlist thing in the world to create but.. we're here to
help! :-) (and working hard to make this process as simple as possible).

Giovanni

[1] http://dbin.org
[2] Brainlets: "instant" Semantic Web applications
Giovanni Tummarello, Christian Morbidoni, Michele Nucci, Onofrio
Panzarino http://www.semanticscripting.org/SFSW2006/Paper5.pdf