From: semantic-web-request@w3.org [mailto:semantic-web-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Danny Ayers
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 19:01
To: Semantic Web
Subject: Showing the Semantic Web

It's been noted recently that we need to do more showing than telling [1,2].

So here's a little chirpy call for (pointers to) -

1. any very practical tutorial material (which I'll add to [3])

2. applications with clear, immediate utility, which ideally are publicly
accessible (which will hopefully call for another list, maybe on the ESW
Wiki)

3. short descriptions of how published RDF/OWL data is being used by
consumers (not sure where they'll go, but I'm curious anyway ;-)

Some rationale on those three...

Although there's a little bit of practical tutorial material around, passive
descriptive talk dominates.

The question "where are the applications?" has been historically hard to
answer in part because of the general focus on developing infrastructure,
and a large proportion of systems are very general-purpose tools (APIs,
stores etc) rather than actual applications in themselves. But I'm pretty
sure there is now a convincing array of 'true' applications out there,
though still can't really answer the question :-(

There are a few resource directories around, e.g. SchemaWeb [4] has a good
collection of vocabularies, there's Dave Beckett's (huge) Resource Guide
[5]. But although these are great for people already familiar with Semantic
Web technologies, they don't really fulfil the role of (selectively)
"showing" when it comes to developers and end-users not already familiar
with the kit.

Another aspect of "showing" could be to point out the wonderful ways in
which published RDF is being usefully consumed. Being able to say that
systems/companies X, Y and Z are using/developing SemWeb tech is one thing,
but often the benefits/utility isn't apparent. For example, Adobe's
authoring/design tools have been embedding RDF (XMP) in docs and images for
quite a while now, but I personally haven't a clue what tools there are that
can do something useful with that data. I know of a couple of aggregators
that make good use of RSS 1.0 over other formats, I'm sure there are a lot
more systems that use this stuff. There are quite a few gadgets built around
FOAF, but I'm not sure where to find an up to date list, and so on...

Moderately related, I recently started compiling a weekly summary of
Semantic Web-related points [6]. It's been very intermittent so far but I'm
hoping I'll be in the routine soon (the System One folks have offered to
help out with some tools, should make the job easier). Anyhow, although I do
monitor this list, if I miss your announcement please let me know.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.redmonk.com/jgovernor/archives/001207.html
[2] http://torrez.us/archives/2006/01/17/409