Re: [semanticweb] how to explain to humans the term ontology

''...when modelling  an ontology, we aim to represent reality  as much as
possible...'

That's right.

''But I would be interested to know if people thinks that there should be
only one ontology. That would pretty much mean that there should be only one
view of the world?  I dont think so.''
That's not all right.

Knowingly or unknowingly, we are all after a unified framework ontology
(UFO) integrating upper-level ontologiesgeneral modelling languages (as
semantic web ontologies, UML, OO programming languages, etc.) as well all
the mutitude of domain-specific ontologies and perspectives.

The history of all science is marked by the quest of most unifying theories
and models about the world and its parts, like a theory of everything
[physical] in theoretical physics.

But, unlike this, Ontology is a formal theory of everything [physical,
chemical, biological, mental, social, cultural, or informational, as web
resources].

Regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev
http://www.eis.com.cy