Re: How about?

Here's another project that makes your dream come true.
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/MAMI/
Thus, "query-by-humming" problem its already solved (well, moreorless!) in the MIR (Music Information Retrieval) research field.

Another interesting problem is the "find similar music" from content-based attributes (the ones extracted from the audio itself). There's a nice demo at http://musicsurfer.iua.upf.edu that gives you similar audio,  given a track.
It's the next step for the music recommenders. That is, not only using collaborative-filtering or playlist coocurrences for music recommendation, but merging both worlds (context and content descriptors).

Cheers, Oscar.
http://www.iua.upf.edu/mtg
http://foafing-the-music.iua.upf.edu