Re: [OWL] annotations and meta-modelling in OWL 1.1

On 9 Jan 2006, at 03:37, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2006, at 6:10 PM, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>
>> In database systems, pleople use aggregation functions to
>> characterise the values of properties of sets of tuples: see SQL!
>> That is, you can have a property of a set of tuples defined in
>> some way (e.g., average of the values of a property of all
>> elements of the set of all tuples having some other property, etc).
>
> Yep. But are these people wanting to use OWL for anything? UML
> maybe, though I've not seen *UMLers* step up and request this
> stuff. You're experience might vary. If there were a clear UML
> application (ICOM? :)) that we were targeting as a kind of killer
> app for owl, I would find that example more compelling. But then
> I'd want a plan for sweeping the UML folks off their feet.

Aggregation is ubiquitous in databases and SQL. It is not present in
standard conceptual modelling languages (e.g., EntityRelationship E/R
data model) for historical reasons (they came before SQL). It has a
minor presence in UML (the association with a diamond at one end) -
but UML was not conceived as a database conceptual modelling
language. There is *plenty* of proposals for extension of the E/R
data model (and for UML) to model conceptually aggregations, and all
the conceptual modelling tools I know about have some (non-standard)
hook to model aggregation. DL people (me, Uli, et al) did study
extensions of DLs with aggregations, and I came up with an extension
of E/R (and UML) which (a) is implemented in ICOM (the DL based
conceptual modelling tool), and (b) deserved a chapter in a
Datawarehouse design book :-).
I also mentioned aggregation since I'd say it is the typical use case
for meta-modelling.
If OWL starts to catch up to model databases and more generally
information integration (which we really hope!), then aggregation
will become ubiquitous as well. I wonder whether people in the SWBP
WG came up with such a modelling requisite.

> Or more simply, I don't know what the dominant set of users for
> robust metamodeling are thus have a hard time assessing the utility
> of standardizing various proposals. Annotations (with full punning)
> are ubiquitous and highly desired and (mostly) easy. So I find them
> reasonable for 1.1.

The reason why they are ubiquitous in OWL is because they are already
as a partial feature in OWL.

cheers
--e.