Re: [tangle] getting the semweb exactly wrong

On Jan 3, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Frank Manola wrote:
> Timothy Falconer wrote:
>> Blog post excerpt:
>> "Reading such comments confounds me, since they've got it
>> *exactly* wrong. The Semantic Web approach is LOOSE, not normalized.
> RDF data is *highly* normalized: RDF essentially organizes data as
> binary relations (one per property) with surrogate keys (URIs),
> which is as normalized as you can get.  This high degree of
> normalization is one of the things that makes the data structure so
> flexible. RDF is looser than the relational model in some other
> respects, but they have nothing to do with normalization.
> "Normalized" isn't properly the opposite of "loose" either

Frank,

You are of course correct.  As Danny pointed out, I was responding to
David's comment.    I did balk at the term "normalized" when I wrote
it, and tried a few other terms like "too constrained", "brittle",
"rigid", "limiting", etc, but they didn't flow from the quote so left
it as is.

Probably the best word to use in answer to his quote is "un-webby".
RDF is "webby", not "un-webby".    Remember, David Weinberger's the
guy who wrote "Small Pieces Loosely Joined", so being webby is a big
thing for him, as it is for a lot of us.   Being webby's what made
HTML/HTTP take off over the other more prescriptive hypertext schemes
of the time.

Timothy Falconer
www.bigfractaltangle.com
610-393-1889 (mobile)