RE: Is it just me or does this seem incredibly slow?

Yeah, that seems way slow...you must have something funky going on.

As an experiment, I grabbed some of your data referenced in an earlier email
of yours at:

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2006Jan/0243.html

with a simple script (reproduced at end [1]) which yielded about 11k
triples.

I ran this similar query to the one you posted, I got 144 results in 0.1
seconds:

SELECT ?photo, ?name
using all
WHERE
	{[rdf:type] ?photo [photo:ImageFile]}
	and {[photo:concreteRepresentationOf] ?photo ?image}
	and {[rdf:type] ?image [photo:Image]}
	and {[foaf:depicts] ?image ?b}
	and {[rdf:type] ?b [foaf:Person]}
	and {[foaf:name] ?b ?name}

(I used RDF Gateway's native query language rather than our sparql
interface, but they'd have similar performance).

As much as I'd like to think that our system is just _way_ faster than the
others you mentioned :-), I'd guess there's something else going on (even
recognizing that I seem to have less than half the data and that it may have
changed wildly). So, something doesn't make sense....just doesn't seem like
you should be seeing the times you're seeing (btw, even going directly at
the data as just an rdf file, rather than in a table, takes only 0.6
seconds).

Best,

Geoff

[1] RDF Gateway script to gather rdf files from site
drop table all;
create table all as temp;

var ds = new
datasource("inet?parsetype=html&url=http://gallery.bostonradio.org/");
var rs = (select ?o using #ds where {[inet:_href] ?s ?o});
for (;!rs.EOF; rs.moveNext())
{
	try
	{
		var ds = new
datasource("inet?parsetype=rdf&url=http://gallery.bostonradio.org/" + rs[0]
+  "index.rdf");
		insert  {?p ?s ?o} into all using #ds where {?p ?s ?o};
	}
	catch(e)
	{
		response.write("no rdf index for:" + rs[0]);
	}
}