Re: INSEE releases OWL ontology and RDF data for geographical entities

Alan,

Le vendredi 04 août 2006 à 16:27 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg a écrit :
> In thinking about this I too have been leaning towards not using the
> hash form. In my case I was initially ignorant of the fact that stuff
> after the hash isn't sent to the server, and I think the server,
> which both knows much more about the domain, and often has more
> computational power available to it ought to have some more control
> over what is returned for such a query.
>
> Moreover, it is hard to figure out, at the outset, whether an
> ontology will be "big" or "small", or what the "natural" chunk size
> would be.
>
> Another issue is what sort of work the client needs to do in order to
> extract the part referred by the fragment identifier from the whole
> ontology. Is this obvious?

As far as I understand the rec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-syntax-grammar-20040210/#section-baseURIs), fragments are very different for RDF and for other media types such as XML or XHTML.

For XHTML for instance, if you refer to
http://example.com/index.xhtml#foo, you're referring to the XHTML
element with an id attribute equal to "foo".

In RDF, if you refer to http://example.com/index.rdf#foo, you refer to
the resource http://example.com/index.rdf#foo (or more exactly the RDF
URI reference http://example.com/index.rdf#foo) and nothing else. You
don't even "extract" a resource :-) ...

This resource can be defined by a single statement such as <myResource
rdf:ID="foo"/> but also by statements squattered all over the document
(and even in other documents) such as <myResource
rdf:about="http://example.com/index.rdf#foo"/> and to find all the
statements in which this resource is mentioned a client would need to
parse the whole RDF document.

My 0.02 €

Eric
--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.