Re: Is there real world RDF-S/OWL instance data?

I appreciate that your request was for publicly-available instance data,
but as a possibly-minor footnote to this thread (especially given its
title), I'd note (again) that the *publicly-available* instance data
doesn't necessarily include all *real world* instance data.  You mention
copyright issues as one possible reason why this might be, but there are
other reasons why such data might not be made generally-available (and,
of course, such a decision makes it hard to ferret out the data).

An example is data defined according to the electric utility Common
Information Model (see, e.g., Section 6.5 of the RDF Primer).  The
Common Information Model is an IEC standard used for the integration of
systems within the electric utility industry worldwide (the RDF Schema
for this model is defined in IEC 61970-501).  There is certainly lots of
instance data conforming to this model (e.g., describing every piece of
equipment in an electrical substation), but utilities tend to restrict
use of that data to interchange between applications (and other
utilities), and I can see why a utility might not want to make this
available on the (public) Web.

I don't know how many other applications might be like this (as I
mentioned above, because they're not all that public, they're hard to
ferret out), but the issue of non-public data is worth considering in
the context of assessing the importance of the Semantic Web.  Certainly
as the use of Semantic Web technology increases in "real" applications,
you're going to see it increasingly used for applications where the
data, for one reason or another, has to be access-controlled in one way
or another, and thus it won't be openly available.  For example, if the
Semantic Web were used for electronic patient records, that data
wouldn't be openly available either, but that would be an important use
of the Semantic Web (IMHO).

--Frank