RE: Place of UFO in ontology development

The Semantic Web seems to me to be between a rock and a hard place. The rock
seems to be the view that UFOs are problematic. The hard place seems to be
the idea that people around the globe are going to develop ontologies in
isolation, then import ontologies developed by others into their application
and magically usefully reuse them. While that approach might work for a few
simple cases like FOAF, to my mind it presents a serious problem for the
Semantic Web for anything even slightly more complex.

Given the hard place, it's unclear to me why anyone would insist on throwing
the UFO baby out with the bath water. NIST hosted a workshop a couple of
weeks ago on UFOs so everyone has not yet given up (see
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit ). Practically
speaking, some level of UFO that forces a rigourous analysis of the concepts
in an ontology seems quite useful to me. That there are incompatible UFOs is
no reason to throw them out. Almost all ontologies developed independently
are incompatible so how can the import and reuse approach work either? In my
20 odd years experience with IT practitioners I've found wildly varying
degrees of model quality, believe everyone would benefit from a good
analysis approach and think a UFO can play that role. The question seems to
me to be just how "U" the UFOs need to be and in what situations they solve
a real-world problem. The UFO approach does not have to be perfect, just
produce better results than the alternative.

I've worked for more than 15 years in ISO/OMG on standards for engineering
modeling and so do have a bias in that direction. I'm also part of a project
trying to make practical use of ISO 15926-2 which was presented at the NIST
summit. After seeing hundreds of models/databases designed to support
engineering applications I also doubt that a statistical/structural analysis
can determine the intended semantics behind them but will try and keep an
open mind. It seems to me that useful ontologies are far more likely to be
engineered into existence so I'll end my comments and go back to trying to
do just that.

Cheers,
David