Re: [ontac-forum] Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDF reification)

-Henry Story
says--------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Hi Azamat I have reposted your reply to me with indentation, so that
people reading your reply to me can distinguish between what I said
and your reply to what I said.
--------------

Henry,

i don't ignore you messages, moreover, when i can try to read them
attentively; for they always have some useful learning about
practical issues.
See some comments below.

Respects,
Azamat Abdoullaev

On 4 Apr 2006, at 11:11, Henry Story wrote:
> Hi Azamat, since you are in the mood of giving lessons, perhaps you
> should also not ignore replies made to you.
> I posted a reply to you on this thread, and you completely ignored
> it. I also want my 5 page reply ;-)
>
> There are 3 points:
>
> 	a. It is possible to pass from very contextual data to less
> contextual data [1]
> 	b. It may be impossible to completely decontextualise data [2]
> 	c. In another thread someone seems to in fact be embarked on
> creating a very decontextualised ontology
> 	   using RDF of the type you claim is impossible to do with these
> tools [3]
>
> Because of (a) above it is ok for people to encode their data on
> the semantic web in a very contextual fashion. Ie. Nothing stops
> people just getting their work done. Furthermore there is no need
> to wait for the final upper ontology to be complete, since it may
> be impossible. On the other hand nothing stops anyone working on a
> very decontextualised ontology, which when finished, everyone will
> be able to map their data to using [1] if necessary. So stuff like
> (c) is welcome and it seems indeed possible.

Here may lie all the misreading of my point, which i would like to
emphasize. There may be a multitude of different ontologies,
perspectives, views, pictures, attitudes, outlooks regarding the
nature of 'environmental universals' as substance, object, state,
change, time, space, cause, quality, relation, body, etc. Still among
human beings and human races, there is an established agreement
regarding some general things in the universe; namely:

The world or reality or universe exists;
There are entities or things or beings in the world;
Entities have properties;
Entities have parts;
Entities stand in relationships;
There are space-time relations;
Things change over time;
Entities exist as substances, states, and processes
Substances have masses and occupy spaces; etc.

The collection of these common ontological axioms make the general
knowledge about reality, or the ontological context, the general
commitments underlying all sorts of specific contexts, models,
theories, and languages, like SW formal languages. Nobody is here
talking about a single ontological standard dictating how you should
express your conceptual world, it may be as chaotic as you like. But
when you model some real world domain or communicate with somebody or
try to understand some natural language, the meanings of its words.
Above your personal commitments, you need to evoke (represent or
code) a general knowledge about things [the result of your
perception, deep learning, experience, and reasoning] unifying all
reasoning entities, human and machine, within a single intelligent
framework. This is the primary meaning of UFO, unifying framework
ontology of the world and its content, which is designed to bring
some fundamental order, organization and structure to your (Web)
data, and so ontologically contextualized.

> 	So you are left with trying to show that the work done in (c) is
> failing in some essential way. And you have to proove that this
> failing is such that no more decontextualised framework can be
> created that will help resolve this problem. Then you would also
> have to show that no useful work can be done at all even without
> such a generalised schema.

See my distinction of ontological relations and formal logical
relations, which is only a variety of relationships [sent to Hans].