Re: sentence in NLP to ontology query?

On 10/23/05, Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:

> However, I have never seen an algorithm mentioned, nor even a
> description of some approach, for how the translation from natural
> language to some query language can be automated. Whether some
> constraints have to be assumed in the natural language interface,
> whether it is even possible or not such a translation, etc.
>
> Are there any pointers that can help me get the picture? Which is the
> state of the art? Or do people always mean the translation as of
> today has to be done by a person?

Maybe a good place to look would be some of the papers in CiteSeer:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/

In general there has been a vast amount of work done on interpreting
natural language for use with formal languages. But personally I've
only seen a couple of applications of it with RDF/OWL (one is at [1]).
I think it's a fairly safe prediction there will be a lot more in the
near future.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://semanticweb.deit.univpm.it/swap2004/cameraready/vertan.pdf