Re: [semanticweb] RE: Sorry for misunderstanding my problem

This is not very clear, an ObjectProperty expresses a relationship
between classes or sets of classes (through the domain and range), for
an instance the property is assigned a value which (for the ontology to
be OWL DL) must be another instance (and not a class used as an instance
which would make the ontology OWL Full).

The properties still capture domain knowledge and are used between
classes. For example an ObjectProperty might say that People are related
to other People by the parent relationship.

Regards,

John Avery
School of ITMS
Univeristy of Ballarat

>>> "Martin Hepp (DERI extern)" <martin.hepp@deri.org> 10/13/05 4:16 AM

Dear Gong:

Object Properties in OWL Lite and DL can, to my knowledge, only be used
between instances, not between classes. This is why you usually do not
find
them as a means to express relationships between classes (since most
ontology creators do not want their ontology to become OWL Full, for
lack of
reasoner support). Only Annotation Properties in OWL are not limited in
this
way, but they have no formal semantics.

You can find a bit more background information in [1].

So the lack of such relationships is mainly caused by characteristics of
OWL
as an ontology language. Other ontology languages, like WSML, do not
have
this limitation.

Martin

[1] M. Hepp: "Representing the Hierarchy of Industrial Taxonomies in
OWL:
The gen/tax Approach",
Proceedings of the ISWC Workshop Semantic Web Case Studies and Best
Practices for eBusiness (SWCASE05), November 7, Galway, Irland
(forthcoming).
Available at
http://www.heppnetz.de/files/SWCASE05-gentax-short-camera-ready-new.pdf

martin.hepp@deri.org, phone: +43 512 507 6465