Re: SPARQL and Web 2

Hi all,

Henry Story schrieb:

> On 10 Oct 2005, at 10:37, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>
>> Hi Henry,
>> I dont see how sparql exactly saves them bandwidth.. I havent been
>> much into sparql lately but last i checked it was supporting the
>> named graph paradigm which means you'd ask amazon for their entire
>> graph and then execute the query locally.
>

> Clearly that would be crazy.

+1
supporting "named graphs" and sparql just means that you can run sparql
queries and - inside the answer - have one field that says from which
context the triple came. So it just extends querying, but you will only
get the result set you queried.

>> If you meant that amazon would instead execute an sparql query for
>> you an return you just the very hits then
>>
>> a) if just some sparql queries are allowed, isnt this what a web
>> service would do today anyway with just rdf results?
>

> The beauty of SPARQL is that it gives us a very clear and well
> defined interface to
> do the queries that map beautifully on an ontology. Web services
> currently have to
> keep reinventing a query interface for each service they provide.
> SPARQL reduces that
> down to needing to describe the ontology (the types of objects and
> the relations between
> them). As these services start growing even that creativity will be
> simplified as
> standard well defined ontologies emerge.

+1

If I query amazon using a web-service - what would be the web-service
api????
So if amazon supports sparql, I could ask questions like:
* what books have i bought in the last month?
* what is the sum of money i spent on dean koontz?
* what books are available that match x, y, z?

all just by authoring sparql queries. Sparql is an intermediate
interface between the outside world and the internal database. the
database can still decide how to run the query and optimize or induce
access rights etc.

> But let us not put the proverbial cart before the horse. First let us
> try out
> opening a few databases. Then with the momentum this generates, the
> rest will
> follow.

+1
yep. Thats how rss started.