Re: Semantic Web gTLDs

Hello Danny
> How do respond to suggestions that new TLDs are harmful to the Web, e.g.

My proposal is to not create  "traditionnal" new gTLDs, but to create
new gTLDs that empowers new technologies, make them implementable.

So far, the progress of the semantic web (SW) has been very slow, and
often derided as the "pedantic web".
One may ask questions why the SW progress has been so slow.
If there is any studies on this, please let me know.

Use of metadata has been reduced in comparison to the early days of
the Web. Except for specialized ones, search engines are not relying on
Metadata anymore, because metadata have been spoilt by pornographers
and "referencing" companies that are using any conceivable trick
to cheat the referencing algorithm of search engines that must
constantly evolve to fight those tricks. There is a secret war
going out there.

One goal of a SWgTLD is a get clean, unspoilt, METADATA.
Sites that are purposedly spoiling their metadata, are removed
from the SWgTLD registry.

Since the goal of SWgTLD domain is to bring a real added value
to the Web, and not to fill the pockets of private companies
acting as registrars, we do not care if there is not a rush
to  SWgTLDs domains in the beginning.
Anyway, it cannot be slower that the actual progress of
the SW in the current chaotic and corrupted cyberspace.

> New Top Level Domains Considered Harmful - Tim Berners-Lee
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD
>
> Why Using TLDs for Filtering is Ineffective, Harmful, and Unnecessary
> - Ian Jacobs
> http://www.w3.org/2004/03/28-tld
I do concur with what has been written in those two documents.
I am going to add in the semantic.cc site a topic
related to new gTLDs and put those links there.
None of the criticisms voiced against "traditionnal" new gTLDs
apply considerning the SWgTLDs.
It is not about filtering but about empowering.

ICANN is making a lot money by subcontracting to commercial
registrars ( at the TLDs level, and then for domain names )
but this has adverse effects.

At the governance level, it is interesting to note that the W3C felt it
has to take a position.  It is quite logical, since ICANN was
implicitely dealing with content-related issues, not just
plain addressing issues.

Many people, including governments, are believing that the current
introduction of new gTLDs is a way for ICANN to get more money,
as all brand names are being forced ( to protect their trademark )
to buy names in those new extensions.

This aspect is not present is our proposal, as each SWgTLDs is planned
to be managed by a multi-stakeholder partnership where civil society
is going to be included.

Another aspect, is that despite the name, the SWgTLDs are not only
about SW but also about DOIs and P2P.
It is time that some truely non-profit project be offered as
an alternative to the current DOI ( which is not using the
DNS system of ICANN by the way, but a completely different
Handle system ). I propose that this new alternative DOI be
P2P ( BitTorrent ) friendly.
Therefore in terms of technical innovations, we are a long way
from ".xxx".

How does the SW community interact with DOI and P2P, I would
be curious to know, as those two paradigms are spreading
at a much faster pace than SW.

Best regards

Francis