Re: true/false in RDF?

Yes, we can define the range of a property (the value space for the predicate) for both object value and data value. What's more is that you need to explicitly define the class and its extension as for the object value.

Datatype other than those from XML Schema and XMLLiteral are implementation dependent [http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#dfn-typed-literal]. Certainly contents provider can use their own datatypes, but it loses the audience of some other implementations.

I agree with you that the simple implementation I described is poor. Any better implementation of owl:sameAs do you suggest?

Datatypes provide a hint the way to process the lexical values. In addition to data validation, it determines whether the processing software is able to understand and to handle it. For example, we need transformation to xsd:hexBinary data and to xsd:base64Binary data. Declaring a literal, e.g. "123", with the datatype xsd:string means that we cannot perform mathematical operation on it. Using the datatype xsd:double means that it may be an approximate value,  because the precision of IEEE754 floating point number is limited. From one view datatype is to confine the computational space.

Jeremy