Re: Ontology for Contact Info

From: Morten Frederiksen <mof-rdf@mfd-consult.dk>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:03:21 +0100
To: Stephen Rhoads <rhoadsnyc@mac.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

Stephen,

On Friday 04 March 2005 23:49, Stephen Rhoads wrote:
> What is/are the preferred or most widely accepted ontology(s) for
> publishing the below information about an Entity such as a Person or
> Corporation?
> - Physical Address
Even though it may not be preferred (it's old), the vCard stuff [1] seems most
widely used.

> - Email Address
I don't think there's any doubt that this should be foaf:mbox [2] (or its
deriviate, foaf:mbox_sha1sum).

> - Phone Number
vCard has one, contact [3] has another, I'd go with the latter.

All that said, there's room for a comprehensive vocabulary (perhaps a merger)
for stuff like this - even though physical addresses are hard due to
multicultural and other i18n issues.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf
[2] http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/index.html#term_mbox
[3] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact#