Re: Versioning in Sesame and Other APIs

Carlos F. Enguix wrote:

> According to the Sesame documentation it is indicated that Sesame
> supports versioning.
>
> Could anyone tell me in which way Sesame supports versioning and
> its features (metadata stored).
>
> I have the suspicion that Sesame supports minor features of
> versioning because there are no references in the documentation.

The versioning in Sesame is part of OntoText's OMM component, so the
documentation for it can be found at http://ontotext.com/omm.

Briefly, the versioning system allows low-level fine-grained
(statement level) change tracking. Each transaction that changes the
repository creates a new 'state', and a state can be labeled to create
a 'version'. Rollback to previous versions is supported. See [1] for
details.

To be honest, I personally have little practical experience with the
versioning system, but undoubtedly the OntoText people can tell you
more about its performance.

> Also can anyone tell me if they are aware of any API or RDF
> repository supporting versioning so we may include in the future an
>  evaluation and comparison of versioning features.

As a point of interest to this discussion, I would like to add that
for the upcoming Sesame 2.0 release (~September 2005), full named
graph support and extended transactional support are planned. Both
features will help support more sophisticated versioning schemes.

Regards,

Jeen

[1] http://www.ontotext.com/otk/del38.pdf
--
Jeen Broekstra          Aduna BV
Knowledge Engineer      Julianaplein 14b, 3817 CS Amersfoort